Faux Activism*


Tragedy pimps.

So much that I could say on this topic but I'll keep it short and sweet. I feel that if you are not truly an ally of people whom you claim to support, then you should not be promoting yourself or your platform as such. Either you are an ally or you are part of the problem. It can't be both. This applies across the board to any and all platforms and figures boosting themselves off the backs of actual survivors, while playing with the emotion of others. Imagine promoting yourself as something that you aren't and someone actually approached you for help and had to find out the hard way that you're a phony or that your platform doesn't actually ''stand'' for anything. Perhaps it is the way of things. I don't know. Doesn't mean that I have to agree with it. Social media forces you to open your eyes to alot of things.In the digital world, you're often convinced that if you aren't loud, then you don't care. But there are tons of loud people our there who don't actually care lol. People forget that online is only one side of things. You could easily pretend to be an activist online while being a literal abuser offline. That's the reality. 

As someone who (gently) participates in the social side of things, I don't feel the need to don a label or label myself as being an ally of this or of that because as a human being I support basic human rights. Screaming things from the rooftop is cool if you mean them but doing that doesn't align with my personality or who I am as a person so I don't do it, even if it's encouraged by a majority. I can help people offline and be a decent human being offline without getting behind the causes that may or may not be sincere online. I'd rather be silently real than loudly fake. Everyone should take issue with phonies. Actual phonies; figures who consciously and repeatedly target vulnerable people to exploit in order to boost their platforms or whatever their have going on, while pretending to care. Everyone should take issue with abusers; the people who hurt others and who villanize their victims because they're terrified of being found out and having the whole world know who they truly are. It's fucked up and wrong.





Comments

Popular Posts